BTW68 Toolbar

Powered by Conduit

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Muhammad Ali's Visit To BTW



Here's a photo of a blow-up of a famous photo of Muhammad Ali
playing around with four other guys. I think they made a couple
of records or something. This was around 1963-4.

I remember one Spring (1968?) when Ali came to Norfolk and
spoke at Norfolk State College. (now University) Someone
suggested he go to the nearby high school (BTW) and speak
there. That someone probably wasn't fully aware of our
reputation.

Mr. Ali came and spoke to us over the P/A system.
He recited his amusing poems including his notorius
"Hell no, I ain' gon' go." etc., which roused us to a
fever pitch.

During his speech, the 5 minute buzzer went off letting us
know we had that much time left before class ended. On this
occassion that was the equivalent of "On your mark, get set....

I was in Mr. Thad Rhodes' last bell English class in
room 116 that day. When the bell sounded ...GO!" students
on all three floors poured out of their classes and headed
for Mr. Holmes' office area. That's where the P/A system was
located and, "The Greatest" himself.

We would not let the man leave. Neither Mr. Preston,
Mr. Holmes, nor Mrs. Alston could budge us. As some of you
may recall these were powerful administrators and they
commanded respect.

Finally, a compromise was suggested by Mr. Ali's staff.
All the students should meet on the athletic field and
Mr. Ali would come there and shake our hands. Grudgingly,
we made a path and Mr. Holmes led "The Champ" out of the
building.

We gathered on the football field and two cars were parked
close together so we could pass through them in an orderly
fashion and shake Muhammad Ali's hand.

While waiting my turn I got the idea to go through the line
twice. Once for the proper right hand shake, and again for
a left hand shake. That way I would have the special memory
of shaking both his hands.

Well, I did that, and on the way home (I walked) I thought
maybe this is something I will tell my children about.

The memory was special after all because a couple of months
ago my son and I were watching a biography of Muhammad Ali
on T.V. and I told him this story.
Read "Muhammad Ali at Norfolk State-May 8th, 1968" Edward West
mr.westsr@gmail.com or,
BTWCLASSof68BLOG@gmail.com

No comments: